Sent: Monday, 1 May 2006 10:58 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: more on local dictionaries with pronunciation

Dear all,

I hope you can suggest any good dictionary for New Zealand and South

African English with accurate and reliable phonEMic transcriptions

for actual NZ and SA pronunciations? And perhaps one for Ireland

(Eire) and India, as well?

I thank you those who have already sent me some phonETic indications.

But I know fairly well their characteristics (in fact I'm writing a

book on the different pronunciations of English, in detail, as a

world language, including intonation, not only for native speakers).

What I really want is to be able to discover possible differences in

the distribution of phonemes between different accents (something

like "shone", "either", "song", "lost", "last", "Mary", "hurry", &c

&c).

For Canadian and Australian English I have some satisfactry

dictionaries. I can't say the same for those about South African

English that I have...

Many thanks

Luciano Canepari

Dept. of Speech Sciences

University of Venice (Italy)

--

LuCa

PS

If you want to contact me about something in connection with my

website (http://venus.unive.it/canipa/), please, write canipa in the

subject space and send to: [log in to unmask]

If you intend to send me any attachments, please, use the following

address: [log in to unmask] (and let me know your intention).