Hullo everyone. I am trying to use John Wells's lexical sets in teaching
in phonetics and phonology and find I want to augment the published
lists in Accents of English and at least one textbook I looked at with
one or two other sets - does anyone have anything approaching a
"standard" for a more comprehensive set? Mainly what I want is for it to
be able to handle Scottish (and Irish) English a bit more -  I realise
that for some new accents of English, particularly with different
phonotactic/allophonic/phonemic systems, something even more radical may
be necessary, but what I am really looking for is something for the UK.

I would like to include a word document with my first attempt at
covering Scottish Standard English but not sure that will work when
mailing Phonet. If it doesn't, I will later just paste in the lexemes to
a regular mail message. Meantime, I will send this, and wait to see if
the attachment works, then try to explain some of the additions perhaps
if anyone wants to know why I want to include them.

Jim Scobbie