> I am looking for a phonetic contrast which is difficult for English
> speakers to perceive, as a control stimulus in a study we are setting up.
The contrast between Swedish laminal palato-alveolar and apical
postalveolar, slightly retroflex voiceless fricatives (kön 'sex',
'gender' vs. skön 'beautiful') is a very difficult one in my experience.
(The latter fricative also has various back and/or labialized allophones.)
Ref:
-Discussion of Sw fricatives in Ladefoged & Maddieson 1996
-Section on Swedish in the IPA Handbook.

/Olle E

--
Olle Engstrand, PhD
Professor of Phonetics