Dear all,

For those of you who have already seen this message, please disregard;
I am posting it again because we still need male volunteers for the
study, and given that I posted it last December, I am hoping that new list
members may see it and be interested.

My name is Narly Golestani; I am a senior fellow working at the Institute
of Cognitive Neuroscience at UCL in London. We are planning to do a study
in which we will compare brain morphology of trained phoneticians to that
of non-phoneticians.

In previous work, using anatomical magnetic resonance imaging (aMRI) we
have shown brain *structural* differences between individuals who are
faster compared to ones who are slower at learning to hear foreign
speech sounds in regions including the parietal cortices and in left
Heschl's gyrus, a brain region including primary auditory cortex
(Golestani et al, 2002, Neuron, Golestani et al, accepted, Cerebral
Cortex). These differences were found within the 'normal' range
(ie; in healthy individuals who had not received any particular
professional training in listening to speech sounds, or in non-experts).

We would like to follow up on this work, now with 'experts' - ie; in
individuals who have received specific and fairly extensive training in
listening to and in transcribing speech sounds.  We are therefore
looking for phoneticians who might be interested in participating.  It
would mainly involve one session of anatomical MRI scanning (we would
probably also acquire diffusion tensor images - DTI - during the same MRI
session). The testing will be done in London.  If you are male, and think
that you might be interested and would like further information about the
study, please email me, ideally with phone number that I can reach you at
so that I can provide you with further details.  Also, it would be greatly
appreciated if you could forward this message to your postdocs and
postgrad students (eg; on mailing lists), or to any colleagues having
had at least one but ideally more years of phonetic transcription
training.

Very best wishes,
Narly Golestani.

Narly Golestani