>From: LAURA DILLEY <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Buckeye Corpus available
>Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:50:08 -0400
>
>Hi Tom,
>
>Just to clarify, the Buckeye Corpus is available free to all researchers,
>but it is indeed necessary to fill out a license agreement. Once the
>license agreement form is faxed or emailed in, a username and password will
>be granted which can be used to access and download the corpus
>(www.buckeyecorpus.osu.edu).
>
>With respect to your question about pronunciation of the word "awe" in
>Ohio, it is indeed like "ah".
>
>Best regards,
>Laura
>
>---
>Laura Dilley, Ph.D.
>Department of Psychology
>The Ohio State University

Thanks Laura.  I was afraid of that.

I hear it all ("ah"ll) the time in USA media.  Segments of the population
are outright refusing to say the phoneme "awe".  Instead they say "ah".
They are dropping the phoneme "awe" completely from their vocabulary.  It's
pandemic now.  I recently heard two speakers in media talking (tahking)
about "audio".  One saying "ah-dio" and the other "awe-dio".

This fad is not good.  These words were not meant to be spoken that way as
is obvious from their spelling - especially "au" and "aw".

What ways do we have of correcting this and other mispronunciation fads that
get into our language.

tom z