I tend to lurk on this list - and very much enjoy that role.

Since I just happened to be reading something on the topic of research
and practice - I thought I would throw it into the mix of the
conversation.

Van de Ven discusses an idea of "engaged scholarship" regarding the form
and function of doctoral preparation.  What stuck out for me is his
insights into how theory and practice are two ways of knowing (two
epistemic cultures).  Where those who focus on theory are guided by
ideas of "rigor" and "generalization", those who focus on practice are
guided by "relevance".  Where you might anticipate that there are
bridges between these ideas - it appears that they are more complex than
might be anticipated.  In his book, Van de Ven calls for opportunities
for learners to examine and compare the nature of research and practice
as an important pathway for promoting a pluralistic approach to
knowledge co-production among scholars and practitioners.

Reference:
Van de Ven, A. H. (2007, forthcoming).  Engaged Scholarship: Creating
Knowledge for Science and Practice.  Oxford University Press.

Robin Adams, Assistant Professor
Purdue University
Department of Engineering Education
400 Centennial Mall Drive, ENAD 201