françois,
you are asking:
True, design "develops proposals for actions that bring forth a desirable
future".  But a future desired by whom?

desired by all those who will have to live in that future, are affected by a
design, have a stake in what it brigs about.  designers are not the only
one's that count.  much of their efforts must consist of listening to
others, convincing those who matter, in other words, they need to
communicate their design and act in view of promised futures.

you say:
We are ... advocating that design proposals (briefs, specifications,
etc.) be anchored in a certain reality, as EVIDENCED in the situation on
hand.

sure enough, the presence is the only reality we can observe, re-search.

you say:
In my opinion and that of many colleagues, problems to be adressed by
professionals called "designers" are not imaginary problems, in future.

i think you do a disservice to concerns for desirable futures when you
relegate such concerns to be merely "imaginary, abstract, or theoretical"
(as opposed to presently real).  what has not yet arrived can only be
speculated about, predicted, inferred, theorized and in any case talked
about.  this is an epistemological given.

designers cannot help but act (in the present) in view of what their actions
can bring forth.  as a profession, designers have to be trusted.  and one
way of gaining this trust is to develop compelling arguments for what not
yet exists but could become a future fact

you say that
our activity of designing starts in the real life present, informed by the
past of our own
experience and that of all assembled, both humans and non humans. It is
this past experience, present positionning and negotiations that, me and
many others, consider as not sufficiently researched, prior to most
present design proposals.

yes, you always have to continue a journey from where you are.  however,
where you come from may not inform you about where you want to go.  i am far
from denying the value of investigating the resources that designers have
presently available.  but, whereas scientific research aims at describing
past experiences with what was and has continued to exist, in my opinion,
inquiries of the kind that supports design decisions should aim at what is
variable, what one can change, what is possible yet would not come about
naturally.  i prefer that these two kinds of knowledges not be confused, and
that scientific re-search be not mixed up with inquiries that are supportive
of design.

klaus

  _____