Abstract:

Abstracts should be encouraged for long posts, but they shouldn't be a rule.

Main body:
I agree with Filippo. Sometimes I missout on probably very interesting discussions just because I see the text is too long and I don't have the time to read absolutely everything in this list. An abstract would help ME decide whether I want to invest time  reading it, or not.

But it should not be a rule. I would like to encourage people writing long posts  to give us an intro to what the post is about.  But don't feel you absolutely have to!

best wishes

edgrrr