Dear Friends

I met Elizabeth (Dori) Turnstall at the IDSA conference. She is a
Design Anthropologist teaching at the UIC, Chicago.

She is an Associate Professor of Design Anthropology at University of
Illinois at Chicago as well as an Associate Director of the City Design
Center. She  has a Ph.D. in Anthropology from Stanford University and
did her undergraduate degree at Bryn Mawr College in Anthropology as
well.
See link: <http://dori3.typepad.com/about.html>

She has commented on the Panel that was moderated by Uday Dandavate and
in which I spoke and her comments are very flattering indeed. However
our feelings are mutual since I too was very impressed by her work on
categorising world design education schools and colleges using a three
dimensional matrix across the following axis of x, y, and z: This can
be applied to departments within design schools since I can see that
our school too has many approaches within the 14 disciplines that we
teach at NID. And things are changing fast and many strengths of the
past are being dramatically changed without necessarily taking stock of
where we are and where we need to go from here. This is good model to
help schools and departments take a deep look at themselves in order to
build diagnostic frameworks for curricullum development and framing
teaching content..

X axis: Product & Artifact orientation to Design Process Orientation
Y axis: Hands on Skilled orientation to Hi-Tech & IT centered
orientation
Z axis: Applied Arts orientation to Business Process orientation.

According top her research all schools can be placed somewhere along
these three axis and we can then compare them for what they are and
what they are offering. Very interesting, must get her full report.

You can see her comments of Day 4 of the IDSA Austin conference at the
link below on her Blog link below:
<http://dori3.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/09/idsa_2006_final.html>

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my office at NID
28 September 2006 at 3.35 pm IST

Prof M P Ranjan
Faculty of Design
Head, Centre for Bamboo Initiatives at NID (CFBI-NID)
Chairman, GeoVisualisation Task Group (DST, Govt. of India) (2006-2008)
Faculty Member on Governing Council (2003 - 2005)
National Institute of Design
Paldi
Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Tel: (off) 91 79 26623692 ext 1090 (changed in January 2006)
Tel: (res) 91 79 26610054
Fax: 91 79 26605242

email: [log in to unmask]
web site: http://homepage.mac.com/ranjanmp/