Hello All

I rather like the 'matching-making' analogy as I often think that Ph.D as a
social institution is very much like marriage. Some will do it for money, some
for true love, some for pure obligation, some because their friends are doing
it....etc. Incidentally, the dropout rates are similar to divorce rates in the
U.S.

To me, doctor dropouts and divorces are reflection of the contemporary
American  society, and nothing less. If our American colleagues are serious
about curtailing doctor dropouts, I guess they have to look far deeper and
beyond what the article points to.

Rosan (two times doctor dropout, never married....not yet).