Karen, Francois, Nicola, et al:

Design may not be "merely" about language, but insofar as designs must
accommodate culture (amongst other things), and language is very very
strongly coupled to culture, then language is one of the important tools
that designers have to understand and be influenced by the contexts in
which they work and in which their designs will "live".

Understanding another culture is far easier if one is armed with the
local language.  Example, many people who don't know French (or another
romance language) well tend to find the French "snooty".  I have the
fortunate capacity of consciously 'switching' between a european
sensibility and a canadian one.  I find the french are snooty only when
I swap into my canadian mode.  But when I 'think italian' (my own
roots), I find snootiness becoming more of a certain style of elegance.
  I have heard this same sort of thing from countless others, and I've
read enough about language and cognition and culture to know that
there's good reason to believe this is 'true'.

So I would advise that language learning is the best way to learn
another culture.  Takes longer.  But you get better results.

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering