On 16 Feb 2006, at 11:29 am, Rosan Chow wrote:

> It might be interesting to compare and contrast the development of
> 'design-based research ' in Educational Technology and the
> 'practice-based research' in Art and Design.

It is at moments like this, that I wonder why nobody ever seems to
use a term like 'research-based (or -led) design'.  This might
connote an area of design where the design project is constructed
specifically as systematic investigative practice, with the intention
of producing research results.  It might also come to mean design
that is evidence based, or otherwise based upon the results of research.

This seems preferable to the often confusing terms which seem to
privilege design over research.

Rosan, any thoughts?

David Durling

David Durling PhD
Professor of Design
School of Arts, Middlesex University
Cat Hill, Barnet, Hertfordshire EN4 8HT, UK
tel:         020 8411 5108
               00 44 20 8411 5108
email:     [log in to unmask]

http://www.designresearchsociety.org