Klaus:

>not much more profound.  to say that everyone does all categories sometimes isn't helping to clarify their differences

My apologies for not being profound (although now that I think about it, I do not remember seeing anything really profound in this listserve in the last five or six years, so maybe I should not feel guilty).  The point is not that everyone does all categories, but that different design subcultures tend to focus more on one category than the other.  Perhaps a better way to set up the categories is:

I.  Design – solving problems

a.  Design problems and design solutions defined in terms of expected or known outcomes (known problems with iterative solutions).

b.  Design problems defined in terms of expected or known outcomes with design solutions that go beyond (or “improve on”) expected or known outcomes.  (Known problems with “improved” solutions)

c.  Design problems defined in terms of different outcomes than expected with design solutions that respond to these alternative problem definitions. (Creating new problems and solutions)

This puts the focus on the structure of the problem and its solution rather than on the mindset of the designer.  A mindset is hard to measure and has a tendency to change very quickly.

Also, you had said to Chuck:

>A is confined by problem solving and intentional stances prior to design.  in the reality of design, A is what most hired designers are being paid for, but true innovations do not spring from A

This statement may seem to be common sense, but I would take issue with the statement that most designers are being paid to do A.  While the total number of designers in the world doing A may be greater than the total number doing B or C (did you have data in mind when you made the statement?), this does not mean that every design subculture is primarily paid to do A.  That is why it would be helpful to qualify a statement like yours, such as by saying “most designers who design artifacts are paid to do A.”  Design is a pretty broad field.  Any discussion about design that ignores a big chunk of the design world is like a discussion that ignores non-western culture.

Additionally, saying that “true innovations do not spring from A” is not consistent with history.  It might make more sense to say that true innovations often occur when, in the course of doing A, it turns out that B or C happened.  I believe there has been quite a bit of work done on innovation in business, and this very issue has been examined there.  A famous example is the postit note, which was designed by someone while doing A, designing a better adhesive, who changed the design to a C when they redefined the meaning of a successful adhesive to include something that sticks part of the time.  Thomas Edison and Henry Ford would also take issue with this statement I believe.  Henry Ford designed innovative manufacturing methods, but he would probably just say that he saw a problem and came up with a solution.  The assembly line had already been developed in gun manufacturing as a way to manufacture guns more quickly (another A problem) rather than as a way to move populations from the farm into the city (which was something Stalin attempted with a different design approach).  The issue of intentional stance sounds good but becomes problematic when applied  to life.

MSC