Karen Fu wrote:

'is a PhD that important when it comes to research and study ?
-Is it that essential for lectureship and professorship ?

Jacques Giard, PhD responded (both truncated)

"The PhD is becoming more and more de rigueur, especially in
those cases where faculty members are expected to attract research grants
and must often deal with granting agencies that expect a PhD as a minimal
qualification--implicitly at least."

A point here is that to gain a Ph.D after graduating a fledgeling designer
must effectively 'remain within the academic environment' due to the
logistical pressures of time and economics.

In other words they are to some degree embarking on a academic course that
does not allow them sufficient time in the professional practice of
design.

I recently read a legitimate survey (which for the life of me I cannot
track down) commenting on the ratio of qualifications in design practice
by non Degree, Degree, Masters and Ph.D

- and it appeared the largest group were BA level, then post grad Master,
non qualified and Ph.D at about 1-2%.

The point I am making - the system as it is currently becoming  will
create a highly intelligent, research oriented faculty with little
experience of real design industry, except through literature.

There are now high level academics in design universities - who have never
actually designed anything in the real world - or had to have their work
painfully dissected by a paying client.

One might argue that the Ph.D in design even attracts those with a
different skillset compared to the most talented students in the design
education system - for example would Jonathan Ive (Apple) benefit from a
Ph.D?

If the substantial number of designers practicing without degrees indicate
- this structure might eventually turn industry away from such a system,
with students able to research and quantify but with little 'hands-on'
design skills.

Another example, we are starting to witness engineering graduates with
better simple sketching and CAD design skills than some industrial design
graduates.

This is not a rant against the Ph.D in design - more a word of caution for
keeping a balance of research in check with practical design skillsets.

Glenn Johnson

This email (and all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain privileged and/or proprietary information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply