Hi all,

I had actually posted this topic over at ID forum and
two somebodies advised me, a small nobody, to
put my questions over here to everybody about the following questions.
One said it would be good to post it here for discussion and the other
promised me that most professors here don't bite...Honestly, I was and am
still hesitant to post but I promised them I would post it after the
interesting
debate on gender. So here I am with 2 main queries and I post them
in original state without modifications:

'is a PhD that important when it comes to research and study ?
-Is it that essential for lectureship and professorship ?

I realize that many educational establishments seem to require one to have
written a list of papers published together with a string of certificates.
While this is important, my impression is it seems to have a heavier
weightage than other creative and character qualities which are
desirable to teaching.'

Have a good weekend,
Karen Fu