Sue
Firstly I would be extremely surprised if he had experienced an allergic reaction to the thinners. An irritant reaction maybe, but thinners are not normally identified as sensitisers. How did the dermatologist arrive at his diagnosis? Was a patch test done? If not then I would question the diagnosis. Your comment about his hand subsequently tends also to support the conclusion that this was an irritant problem.
If the consultant has done a patch test, then I doubt whether referral to St. Thomas's would reveal anything new. What is required is a proper workplace based investigation to establish, based on the medical information and other factors, what the true cause of the problem was. There is a risk that if this is not done, then the next worker will ultimately suffer the same fate!
If you want to discuss this off line, give me a call on the number below.
Regards
Chris Packham

EnviroDerm Services
2 Amery Lodge Farm, North Littleton, Evesham, WR11 8QY, U.K.
Tel: 0044 1386 832 311
Dermatological Engineering for a healthier workplace
For more information about our support, services and technical aids, visit our recently revised website: (www.enviroderm.co.uk)
For immediate help e-mail us at [log in to unmask] or phone on +44 1386 832 311