Hi There - my only problem with quoting the HSWA is that it is statue barred therefore should not be used within civil liability claims.

regards

Angela
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Greta Thornbory
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:53 AM
  Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Coshh and mrsa

  Hi Folks
  I do think the debate on MRSA is interesting and was about to comment myself when a colleague, better placed than myself, asked me to pass on the following... (with which I whole heartedly concur)

  Regarding the recent issue raised concerning MRSA relating to victims and relatives of victims seeking to sue hospital trusts using COSHH.   Sooner or later the spotlight will include C.Diff and other HAIs (hospital acquired infections), it's simply a matter of time.

  Victims and/or their relatives could use COSHH or, Section 3(1) of the Health & Safety at Work Act instead if they choose. They do not have to prove that MRSA was contracted while in hospital.   All they would have to prove [on the balance of probabilities] is that the hospital trust failed to adequately control the risk of infection [whether caused by or made worse by their treatment]. Under S3(1) HSW 1974, the wording of the writ would change ever so slightly, and use a form of words such as "the hospital trust (or other health care institution) failed to conduct its undertaking in such as way as to eliminate or, minimise the risk of infection....etc".

  All the other debate concerning pre-employment screening is simply missing the point.

  Surely a much better way to deal with situation is to ensure that:
  1. Adequate polices and procedures are in place to deal with infection control
  2. Employees (all of them) are appropriately informed and trained about the chain of infection and infection control (something I am sure does not happen properly)
  3. There is appropriate monitoring and supervision to ensure that the policies and procedures are followed.

  Hence it is a management/infection control problem which OH should be advising and supporting management to deal with - not running around wasting time undertaking unnecessary and worthless screening procedures!

  Cheers, Greta
  Greta Thornbory
  Consultant, Occupational Health & Education
  Consultant Editor, OH Journal
  www.gtenterprises-uk.com
  Tel: 01235 770156
  Mob: 07778 518 027