Matt,

Your Cl theory sounds reasonable to me.  The Cl may be finding H
liberated by big signals hitting the multiplier.   With our new
machine I thought we had a terrible HC problem on our extraction
line.  The machine would be nice and clean in the morning, then I
would run an air shot and it would suddenly be full of hydrocarbons.
We think that the large air shots were heating up the multiplier and
driving off HC.  Once we cleaned the multiplier up (see below) the
problem went away.

Multipliers seem to take a long time to hit their stride following
venting, but you can hurry up the process.  The thought is that as
you hit a multiplier with a large signal, the electron cascade heats
the dynodes up substantially and liberates loads of garbage.  We have
found that the best burn-in procedure is to raster a moderate beam
over the multiplier overnight.  On our Johnston we use a 1e-13 mol
air shot, but you have to refresh it as it gets ionized away.  In
addition to cleaning it up, we have seen a 10-15% increase in
sensitivity doing this.  This technique isn't really ideal because
you are liberating crud without pumping it away.  I don't think we
can get to H2 with our MAP 216.

On the ETP multipliers on our Nu we rastered 500,000 cps (~5e-15
moles) of H2 overnight and it really helped.  We just partially close
the getter until you get the right signal size.  Be careful because
if it is dirty, lots of H2 is liberated and you can get a bad
feedback going.  I've even been warming up the multipliers by
rastering 500,000 cps of H2 for 5 minutes before running every
morning.  They become more sensitive and more stable.  I'm sure it
shortens their lives, but they do seem happier.

Andy
Andy Calvert ([log in to unmask])
Volcano Hazards Team
U.S. Geological Survey