We monitor 35, and we usually have a signal at 36 that correlates with the
35 signal (typically a few percent of the 35 in our system, and usually
comes out with the blank correction). Of course, there are a couple of
other ways to verify that it is Cl and HCl: the 37/35 is in roughly the Cl
ratio (1:3), and there should be a signal at 38 that's in the same ratio
to 36. Lately, we've often had a 35 signal that's not in that 3:1 ratio to
37, and while I presume it must be some hydrocarbon, I've never quite
figured out how you can get a signal at that mass.

Tim

Timothy D. Swindle
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona