Dear list,

Thanks Sarah for a theme that seems to engage a lot of people and I feel it
is definitively a topic in the air.

I am working as curator at Mejan Labs (www.mejanlabs.se) and in the spring
we arranged a seminar on new media and art together with the Royal
University College of Fine Arts in Stockholm on new media and art, the Verge
seminar at the Modern Museum this spring (www.kkh.se/newmedia). I guess some
of you heard of it.

However, at the seminar Benjamin Weil took the chance to discussing new
media and preserving and the example of some of Paik's works. What would
happen to them when the TV-sets of Paik's installations had to be exchanged?
And even a more important question what would happen to them when a younger
generation, brought up with flat screens, would look at the Paik's
installations laughing "that were these days when he tellies were that big"...

Bruce Sterling summarized the seminar in an article in the June issue of
Modern Painters(!) well worth reading, taking the Sabrina Raaf exhibition at
Mejan Labs as an example.

It reminds me of the Culture 2001 seminar in Copenhagen to which I was
invited as a key note speaker (together with Howard Rheingold) where I
suggested we should delete all web and net art files since I felt it was the
production that I enjoyed and the preservation only meant costs and money I
would never see. At the time I was curator of the nonTVTVstation in Sweden
and I suggested at the seminar that I would go home deleting all the files.
I didn't (stupid me) and today I have them all on tape in my attic. No one
have been asking for them and I guess it will take another twenty years
before anyone got interesting in the tapes, when they will try to make
research on streaming etc. And then they will be almost impossibly to play...

I am not sentimental at all. Definitively I wouldn't spend a penny on
preservation if I had the choice to spend it on production. If some of my
old productions disappears I am fine with it.

I have been working within museums for more than ten years and I have
understood that sooner or later we will come into more practical and
economical discussions what will be reasonable to preserve of our heritage,
which institutions will be worth to keep etc. Collection costs a lot of
money and we should ask what is worth to preserve. Preservation and museums
is an idea of the 19th century very much and this means that late 19th
century and later is the most preserved ages. But does it mean that our age
are the most important of the humanity?

As I stated, I am not sentimental at all, still if there is any interest in
preserving any project, might it be commissions, I am fine with it as long
it isn't my money. For the institutions still trying to collect things I
would like to say: -Take a look at your collections - what story do they
tell? And what story would you like to tell? Maybe documentation is better
that preservation.

New media and public commissions is a topic for a seminar planned early 2007
arranged by Interactive Institute (where I am working part time) and also an
exhibition produced by Electrohype and Llars Midboe in Sweden in December.
Anyone interested, please mail me.

Yours,

Björn Norberg
Curator at Mejan Labs in Stockholm