Right on, Andreas  - the way I tried to put my previous statement was
that it indicates that "new media" is either meaningless or dogmatic
(like "Neue Musik" and its life in the second half of the 20th
century in Germany ).

Electricity is indeed the great divide but does not create a genre –
it's a radical change in medium in the sense that electricity
provides power/energy/"watts" beyond the limitation of the human body
and the mechanical means we construct. And in that sense it does
create a new realm (but again not a genre etc.) - we can create,
project, store, distribute with energy and speed beyond the limits of
our physical body. And indeed at that point we could start a
discussion how this material, the  "electrical capacity", is made
part of a specific artistic work/environment, what the artistic and
aesthetic implications and consequences of this material in this work
might be. And then as a new step we might consider the point in time
when Boolean logic entered the art world as yet another medium or
tool or just means of transport.

Johannes