just as a couple of asides -- the new iranian film, IRON ISLAND, in many
ways allegorizes these very subjects, heterotopia, cultural identity in a
t.a.z. and east vs. west perspective:
http://fest06.sffs.org/films/film_details.php?id=51

this discussion also reminds me a great deal of the stakes in the work of
photographer alan sekula -- his photos of ports are posed directly against
the supposed placelessness of of "cyber" interactions.

sean