Hello everyone,

Fascinating topic. Allow me to introduce myself: I'm the Director of
Digital Media at the University of California, Berkeley Art Museum
and Pacific Film Archive (bampfa.berkeley.edu). I'm also a digital
artist (www.coyoteyip.com). I serve on the San Jose Airport Art
Activation Committee and have had the opportunity to work with the
talented Gorbet and Banerjee.

Perhaps most pertinent though is that I've been deeply involved in
two projects tackling the problems of permanence and preservation of
digital art - the Variable Media Network (variablemedia.net) and
Archiving the Avant-Garde (you'll find lots of research papers on
this topic at the project website
bampfa.berkeley.edu/ciao/avant_garde.html).

The problem of permanence naturally means "re-animating" media
artworks periodically over time, which means collecting the right
information at the beginning to enable that act (a paper at
bampfa.berkeley.edu/about_bampfa/formalnotation.pdf proposes how to
do this). BUT the question raised on this list is slightly different
in that it focusses on public art. Public art usually has a long-term
caretaker (the city public art commission instead of the museum), so
one could just say that they take the same role as a museum in
preserving this art. But other questions still obtain: how much
public art should be preserved? Unlike museums, public art
commissions usually don't have the capacity for storing large numbers
of works out of sight; so to keep it around is to keep it alive
continuously. Of course keeping any art alive or preserved takes
resources, but media art is especially demanding in this regard.

I'll be curious to follow this thread and see what other issues may
be different when the issue is how to keep *public* art alive......if
at all.

Richard Rinehart
---------------
Director of Digital Media
Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive
bampfa.berkeley.edu
University of California, Berkeley
2625 Durant Ave.
Berkeley, CA, 94720-2250