Well, Yana, I don't want to bias anyone else but I can think of more than two types of such women.
I hasten to add that when my heart sinks in such cases it is not always because I lack sympathy with them, though sometimes that is the case.  It can just as well be that I know I have almost nothing to offer them that can help them feel better - and now I am thinking of migrant refugee women who need a HOME with a NETWORK that speaks their native language and understands how a pregnant woman should be treated.  Having a sympathetic ear and being able to give someone a hug just isn't enough.

Rachel Myr
considering learning Arabic in Kristiansand, Norway

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yana Richens
Sent: 9. august 2006 16:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Heartsink

Dear List

Has anyone any knowledge of the the term " heart sink" being used in midwifery, it is a term used in the medical world to describe a patient who makes frequent visits to a surgery, complaining of persistent unidentifiable ailments"

In midwifery it is my opinion that we have two types of "heartsink" women and I would like to know if any list members have any thoughts

Many thanks yana

Yana Richens
Consultant Midwife in Public Health and Postnatal Care
University College London Hospital NHS Trust
Elizabeth Garret Anderson & Obstetric  Hospital
Huntley Street
London
WC1E 6DH