Hi Joan, I am also potentially interested in contributing to this updated book. I have used feminist postmodern theories to explore case-loading midwifery practice in New Zealand. I focus  on the obstetric setting and describe the way that midwives "make space" for childbirth. Here is a brief abstract from a conference presentation I will be giving in New Zealand.
Deborah Davis

Making Space for Birth

In their daily work case-loading midwives traverse space. They visit childbearing women or attend childbirth in their homes, they may spend time in clinics or a variety of hospitals; smaller primary birthing units or larger obstetric hospitals.  They spend their days engaging with childbearing women, their family or supporters and with obstetric or midwifery colleagues.  As they move across space and between people, they traverse a variety of physical and discursive spaces.

Midwives journey into the intimate space of the childbearing woman attempting to understand their subjective experience and the way that this pregnancy and childbirth is situated within the landscape of their life world.   They travel with this understanding as they negotiate other spaces; the biomedical space of the maternity context and obstetric hospital and the spaces of their own constructions of childbirth.  Ultimately they work to create a space for birthing that is perhaps unique to each midwife, woman pairing.  The obstetric hospital setting provides midwives with particular challenges as they work to create, maintain and protect the birthing space of the women in their care.  Midwives engage in a variety of strategies to this end and these will be explored in this presentation.

This work is based on Deborah’s PhD study that explores the discursive construction of case-loading midwifery in New Zealand.  The practice of case-loading midwives within the obstetric hospital provides a focus, surfacing the contested nature of maternity care and illustrating the way that midwives negotiate this contested terrain.

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/05/2006 7:59 a.m. >>>
Kerri---try [log in to unmask]

And thanks!