	From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. on behalf of Deborah
	Sent: พฤ. 18/5/2549 19:31
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: FW: reference re origins of antenatal care

	----------
	From: Deborah <[log in to unmask]>
	Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:28:33 񩀔
	To: "A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health
	research." <[log in to unmask]>
	Subject: Re: reference re origins of antenatal care

	on 17/5/06 22:54, Nicole Carver at [log in to unmask] wrote:

	> Hi all,
	> Does anyone have some good references about the origins of antenatal care,
	> in particular, what its aims were and what brought it about?
	> Thank you,
	> Nicole Carver,
	> Bendigo,
	> Australia.
	Nicole, there is an interesting paper by K. Barker (1998) documenting the
	emergence of prenatal care in the USA, in the context of the medicalisation
	of pregnancy.
	The reference is:
	Barker, K 'A ship on a stormy sea: the medicalisation of pregnancy' Social
	Science and Medicine, Vol 47, no 8 pp1067-1076, 1998

	Regards
	Deborah Caine
	Norfolk, England