Message
Please forward as appropriate.
A pdf is available: www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/
The contact is Dr Joe Cain [log in to unmask]
_____________________

We need help with data entry. We’ll pay.

Background: The London Centre for History of Science, Medicine and Technology is expanding to offer two MSc degrees. In the process we’re expanding our advertising. We’re also updating our mailing lists. We seek to hire a short-term Research Assistant to help with research and data entry. We seek to hire someone who knows the subject and the professional community who will collate and verify our existing lists, then will use available resources (on-line, print, and word-of-mouth) to expand our directory. General knowledge of history of science, technology and medicine (STM) is required. Specific knowledge of professional relevant communities overseas is highly desirable.

Qualifications: Suitable candidates should have (1) a working knowledge of Microsoft Access and Excel, (2) excellent research skills using Internet and relevant professional resources, and (3) detailed knowledge of relevant fields (evidenced by either possession of a degree in a relevant subject or enrolment in relevant degree programme). Relevant fields include history and philosophy of STM, sociology of STM, science policy, and science communication.

Details: We seek an assistant willing to contribute approximately 60 hours of work. The pay will be hourly, likely Grade 6 (spine point 23 is £12.70/hour – includes London weighting). Meetings at UCL during the contract period will be required. We want to undertake this work quickly. On 15 January 2007, we’ll consider applications received. We may continue to accept applications until the work is fully commissioned, but the position may be withdrawn if no suitable applicants come forward before 31 January 2007. This is a fixed-term contract with no prospect of continuation. The department welcomes applicants from traditionally underrepresented groups.

To apply: Submit a resume and an expression of interest to the person named below. In this letter, describe your skills as they relate to the above qualifications. Also, briefly describe the initial steps you might take to build a list of contacts for recruiting MSc students from overseas. Also, include the names of two individuals who can speak to your qualifications or work experience. These will be contacted only if an offer is imminent.

For more information, contact:

Joe Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Department of Science and Technology Studies
University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT
www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/index.htm
 and www.londoncentre-hstm.ac.uk