I would agree with Steve Fuller's statement on the little discussion available on the list. However, I am a bit fed up with self-promotion, when it is not quite intended for readers - as it happens on Theuth, the French discussion list (with subject such as "Publication", no presentation of contents, etc.)
I am more interested by a project by Revues.org
(cf. www.revues.org), which has so far developped tools for social scientists (online journals, calendar of events, etc.) : the idea is to link book presentation with reviews in free online journals or under personal signatures, in order to quickly promote debate and new books' advertisements - and organize it as such = debatable scientific contents.

With kind regards,

Christelle Rabier
Christelle Rabier
____________________________
CAK/CRHST
30 avenue Corentin Cariou
75930 Paris CEDEX 19
Tel: +33 1 40 05 82 98/ 75 55
Fax: + 33 1 40 05 75 51

Home (Voicemail): +33 1 48 59 47 19
>>> Steve Fuller <[log in to unmask]> 31/10/06 10:18 >>>
I agree with this sentiment. Otherwise, in effect, the list becomes a parochially British noticeboard for workshops that subscribers are 'always already' on the verge of missing. (There actually isn't much intellectual discussion on this list, and I believe that this is by design as well.)

But there is always a way around the ban on promoting books. Simply include links to them as part of your signature. Who says subliminal advertising is dead?

Yours in discourse

Steve

Steve Fuller
Professor of Sociology
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
United Kingdom

Phone: 44+ (0) 2476 523 940
Fax: 44+ (0) 2476 523 497
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~sysdt/Index.html

Audio lectures now available: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/staff/academic/fullers/fullers_index/audio/

'The Philosophy of Science and Technology Studies' now in paperback from Routledge: http://www.routledge-ny.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=&isbn=0415941059&parent_id=&pc=

'The New Sociological Imagination' now in paperback from Sage:
http://www.sagepub.co.uk/book.aspx?pid=107149

'Kuhn vs. Popper' and 'The Intellectual' are now both in paperback from Icon Books:
http://www.iconbooks.co.uk/book.cfm?isbn=1-84046-722-3
http://www.iconbooks.co.uk/book.cfm?isbn=1-84046-721-5

>>> Brid Hehir <[log in to unmask]> 10/31/06 09:06 AM >>>
Gosh. That surprises me.

I think it's an ideal forum to promote books, conferences etc. as well as discussion.

Maybe it's time to review 'the policy'?

Regards
Brid