***Apologies for cross-posting**

University of Cambridge
Department of History and Philosophy of Science Free School Lane

***HISTORY OF MEDICINE SEMINARS***
Lent Term 2006

In addition to the well-established Tuesday seminars on History of Early
Medicine and Natural Philosophy and on History of Modern Medicine and
Biology, this term we are inviting you to a seminar series named:

FROM GENERATION TO REPRODUCTION

This seminar, which is funded by our Wellcome Trust enhancement award in the
history of medicine, will be a forum for discussion of how, since 1500, our
world of reproductive practices and controversy was created.

We meet on Tuesdays from 5pm to 6.30pm in Seminar Room 2. Tea is available
from 4.40 in Seminar Room 1. All welcome! Organised by Lauren Kassell.

24 January
Gayle Davis (University of Glasgow)
Stillbirth registration and conceptions of the deadborn, c.1900-1950

31 January
Wendy Churchill (Wellcome Centre, UCL)
Sex, age and the female reproductive body in early modern British medicine

7 February
Charlotte Augst (Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority) Is law
important? Making sense of reproductive technologies in Germany and Britain
- a discourse analysis

14 February
Bernardino Fantini (University of Geneva; University of Lausanne) The germ
is the life and the life is the germ: Louis Pasteur's explanation of
infectious diseases and his biological philosophy

EARLY MEDICINE AND NATURAL PHILOSOPHY

Tuesdays at 5pm in Seminar Room 1. Tea is available from 4.40pm. All
welcome. Organised by Lauren Kassell.

28 February
Sandra Cavallo (Royal Holloway, University of London) What were surgical
tracts about? The writings of an ordinary Italian surgeon in the early
eighteenth century

14 March
Michael Macdonald (University of Michigan) The nightmare: from demon to
dream, c. 700-1840

HISTORY OF MODERN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY

Tuesdays at 5pm in Seminar Room 1. Tea is available from 4.40pm. All
welcome. Organised by Tatjana Buklijas and Soraya de Chadarevian.

21 February
Bernd Gausemeier (Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin)
Genealogy and human heredity around 1900

7 March
Emese Lafferton (HPS, Cambridge)
Inventing the 'Magyar': ethnography, physical anthropology and eugenics in
Hungary around 1900

If you wish to regularly receive announcements of history of medicine events
at HPS, please subscribe to the electronic discussion list ucam-histmed by
writing to [log in to unmask]

For additional information on studying and researching history of medicine
at HPS, see http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/medicine/index.html.

Tatjana Buklijas
Department of History and Philosophy of Science
Free School Lane
Cambridge CB2 3RH
Phone/office: (+44 1223) 767 174