*************************************
AHRC Research Review
Practice-Led Research in Art Design and Architecture
*************************************
Town Meetings
Understanding & Mapping Practice-led Research

*************************************
Birmingham 27 Jan 2006
Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, University of Central England

London 16 February 2006
Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London

*************************************

We will explore:

Forms of practice-led research:
What forms can practice-led research take and what descriptions are used to characterise it?

Debates about practice-led research:
What questions about method, quality and purpose do we need to understand?

Examples of practice-led research:
What practice-led research are you involved in?
Where will we find helpful case examples?

Impact of practice-led research and how might it develop:
In terms of quality and quantity but also in context and purpose.

These meetings are the first stage of our engagement with the research community. At this early stage, we aim to explain what we are doing and gather in useful ideas and material from you. Later meetings in Glasgow and Leeds will provide an opportunity to comment on our research "map" as it is developing. An online conference in the spring will be used to involve a wider and international community in discussing questions and issues that we identify in this first stage.

The purpose of the review is to describe the state of practice-led research in our disciplines. We aim to understand the questions and debates about practice-led research but it is not within the scope of the project to promote further debate or resolve any difficult questions about the validity of different research practices. However we hope that our work will provide us all with a better shared understanding of what is happening and where the problems and opportunities lie.

To reserve a place and receive more information please email Alison Honnor ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>) saying which event you wish to attend  and giving your contact details including name, institution and current role

Project contacts
Researcher:   Mark Elshaw ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Administrator:	  Alison Honnor ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Coordinator:  Prof Chris Rust ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Review management group
Prof Chris Rust , Sheffield Hallam University
Prof Judith Mottram, Nottingham Trent University
Prof Jeremy Till, University of Sheffield