Apologies for cross posting
Note: Due to late circulation, abstracts received after the deadline, but before end of January may also be considered

CALL FOR PAPERS
IAMCR Conference 2006,
Knowledge Societies for All: Media and Communication Strategies
Cairo, Egypt
23-28 July

Popular Culture Working Group
Convenor:  Garry Whannel

The Popular Culture Working Group invites submissions for its programme for the 2006 International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) conference in Cairo Egypt, 2006.   Web details for the conference are available at: <http://www.aucegypt.edu/conferences/iamcr>.

Papers from a range of perspectives on popular culture topics will be considered.   Abstracts should be around 500 words, and should outline the proposed topic and give a clear indication of the general perspective and theoretical orientation of the paper.    Please include your name and title (as you would like it to appear on the programme), job title, department, university, and full contact details.   Email will be the normal form of communication with you.

Abstracts must be received by me by January 15th, 2006.   Email as Word attachment or RTF attachment to <[log in to unmask]>.  I will inform you as to whether your proposed paper can be included in the programme by February 15th 2004.   The programme should be announced in March 2006.

Complete papers are due 15 June 2006 (papers received later will not be included on the CD of proceedings that will be distributed at the conference).

The IAMCR have announced that you are only allowed to send ONE paper for review.

Questions specifically about the Popular Culture Working Group should come to me at [log in to unmask].   For general information about the conference, please do NOT contact me.  Instead try the IAMCR website <http://www.iamcr.net/>, or the conference website (listed above).  Please note that I have no responsibility for conference registration fees and cannot comment on your eligibility for reduced rates.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who would like to be involved in the Popular Culture Working Group, even if you do not intend to submit a proposed paper for Cairo.   I will then  keep you informed of future plans.  Email to Garry Whannel at [log in to unmask] and please included your name and contact details.

Professor Garry Whannel
Centre for International Media Analysis
School of Media Art and Design
University of Luton, UK