From: ESRC cultural industries seminar list on behalf of Andy C Pratt
Sent: Tue 21/11/2006 09:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Final AHRB/ESRC network seminar: Thursday 11th and Friday 12th January 2007, at the Royal Society of Edinburgh

Dear all,

The 9th and final seminar of the Cultural Industries Series which began in December 2003 will take place Thursday 11th and Friday 12th January 2007, at the Royal Society of Edinburgh (please see details of the seminar programme below).

For this last seminar, entitled "New Directions in Research: Substance, Method and Critique", the organisers thought it would be interesting to review some of the ground that has been covered and to pose issues and questions that will contribute to the development of future research agendas. To those ends, contributors to the seminar will address questions of policy and investment including human capital, the adequacy of economic accounts of the culture industries, the relations of the culture industries to broader economic processes and even the usefulness of the notion of culture industry itself. There will probably be occasions to re-consider Adorno and Horkheimer's original ironic use of the term.

Although attendance to the seminar is free, places are strictly limited. If you want to reserve a place, please contact me: Email: [log in to unmask] In order for me to proceed to your booking, please make sure to state your name, your academic / professional status, your contact details as well as your University / organisation.

We hope to be able to fund travel and accommodation (1 night) for about 45 persons. Travel will be limited to £100 per person (on receipt of the usual receipts). We are negotiating a good deal on the hotel. Booking and attendance is free - but it is on a first come first served basis. We will notify late applicants of which number they are on the list and we will operate a waiting list. So, those who book, please let us know if you cannot come as a place will be freed up.

Programme

Thursday 11th January

12:00
Buffet Lunch

13:00
Introduction and welcome - Paul JEFFCUTT, Queens University and
Andy PRATT, London School of Economics

13:30
First session - 'Rethinking the Music Industry', Martin CLOONAN,
Glasgow University and John WILLIAMSON, Paisley University

14:30
Coffee

15:00
Second session - 'The Supply and Creation of Arts and Creative Industries - An Economic Perspective', Trine BILLE, Copenhagen Business School

16:00
Coffee

16:30
Third Session - 'Intellectual Property Rights, Open Access and
Content Distribution: The expansion of two tier content sectors?',
Professor Christopher MAY, Department of Politics, Lancaster University

17:30
Finish day one

Friday 12th January

9:30
Coffee

10:00
First session - 'Morality of the Culture Industries and the Rentier Economy', Jeremy VALENTINE, Queen Margaret University College

11:00
Second session - 'Opportunities and Obstacles: The Career Paths of Creative Industry Workers', David LAING, University of Liverpool

12:00

Buffet Lunch

13:00
Third session - 'Creative Industries Critique: Possibilities and
Problems', David HESMONDHALGH, The Open University (Leeds University from
April 2007)

14:00
Fourth session - 'Modelling the cultural industries', Professor
David THROSBY, Economics Department, Macquarie University

15:00
Coffee

15:30
Roundtable - 'Economic probability or cultural possibilities?'

17:00

Finish day two

Although attendance to the seminar is free, places are strictly limited. If you want to reserve a place, please contact me: Email: [log in to unmask] In order for me to proceed to your booking, please make sure to state your name, your academic / professional status, your contact details as well as your University / organisation.

We hope to be able to fund travel and accommodation (1 night) for about 45 persons. Travel will be limited to £100 per person (on receipt of the usual receipts). We are negotiating a good deal on the hotel. Booking and attendance is free - but it is on a first come first served basis. We will notify late applicants of which number they are on the list and we will operate a waiting list. So, those who book, please let us know if you cannot come as a place will be freed up.

For any further question or comment, please feel free to contact me.

We look forward to seeing you.

Best regards,

Jenny M'Baye
Urban Research Centre Administrator, LSE
Email: [log in to unmask]