++ Electronic Museum news - February 2006 ++

http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk

..the web resource for technical managers, developers and authors who are
using the web, kiosk or similar technologies in a museum context..

* Podcast interview - Every object tells a story *

Finally, after a load of technical hitches, some re-wiring, a couple of
explosions and some heavy swearing, I've managed to put the first EM podcast
interview online.

In November 2005, I recorded an interview with Rachel Coldicutt who was
project manager for the Every Object website [http://www.everyobject.net]
and asked her about the site - what went well, what they've got planned for
the future, and what on earth they were doing with a "video taxi"....

Hear the podcast here:

http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk/em/articles/displayarticle.asp?articleid=podcasts/everyobject

* Blog *

I'd like to welcome Dan Zambonini as co-author of the Electronic Museum
blog. Dan works for internet consultancy Box UK and regularly posts on the
O'Reilly website. He's big on Semantic Web and all things XML, but don't let
that put you off...

Together we'll be trying to get to some understanding about what
Web2.0means (if anything) for museums online, as well as posting as
much as we can
about what's going on in the world of the web and how it might affect what
we do in our sector.

screen: http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk/em/blog
reader: http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk/em/feeds/blog.xml

* Accessibility - tell EM your thoughts *

Over the coming months I'm going to be writing some stuff on accessibility,
and I'd like contributions from anyone who has opinions on how we should
approach it:

- can an accessible website also be visually attractive, or does it by
necessity mean a design compromise?
- are accessible websites expensive to build?
- what are your top 10 accessibility tips when planning a new site?
- who gets it right in our sector? and wrong..?

Send your thoughts here:

http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk/em/about/contact.asp

* Folksonomy / online collections poll *

Do you? Might you? Don't know?

Take part in the EM poll on folksonomies and online collections. Once you've
voted, login and add a comment, or contact me at the address at the end of
this email if you've got more to say.

http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk

* Resources section now live *

The resources section of the EM website is now live. As time goes on, this
should become an increasingly valuable list of links to "things we find
useful" when building or testing museum websites.

If you've got software or bookmarks you use on a regular basis that you'd
like to point people at, just log in to your EM account and click the "Add a
new resource" link.

Coming soon:

- event calendar
- RSS feed of latest resources

http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk/em/resources

* Other stuff *

Electronic Museum is slowly heading in the right direction, but I always
need more contribution, more clout, more...content.

If you...

- have constructive stuff to say about the issues we're talking about,
- have a site you'd like reviewing,
- would like to be interviewed for forthcoming podcasts,
- have feedback on the EM site, either positive or negative

...then please get in contact

Look forward to hearing from you

Mike

The Electronic Museum