From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of electronic museum
Sent: 18 December 2006 11:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MCG] Google Coop / Museum collections

All,

Some weekend fiddling from me that you might be interested in:

http://www.museumcollections.org.uk

Why?

1. To test it out and see how easy Google coop is to use 2. To see whether vaguely meaningful results are returned 3. To provide an example of something which might be useful and built for free (well, £10 for the domain...), and in under 10 minutes

More seriously, I had a conversation recently about making collections data more granular and Semantic Webby. We were talking about exposing DC metadata in the head of documents and he made the point that the "brute force"
approach of Google would be just as good, if not better, at discovering worthwhile content.

So...I thought I'd put together a benchmark test of this approach - then as the sector continues to think more seriously about cross-museum collections searching, we could come back to this and see which works better...

Please do volunteer to contribute to this collection by clicking the relevant link. The more the merrier.

cheers

Mike

The Electronic Museum

w: http://www.electronicmuseum.org.uk