Firstly well done to Nick for setting some very interesting hares running!

Web 2.0 - The problem is in the name. Using a version numbering convention
implies that it replaces everything that has gone before, but as Brian rightly
points out a lot of what is 'mashed up' under the heading was envisaged by Tim
Berners-Lee in the first place .. so - Web 0.1??

The reality is that Web 2.0 is a portfolio term used to describe a number of
complementary but different technologies which have recently come to prominence.
 Some or all of these may or may not be of use to the cultural sector (Museums,
Libraries and Archives and similar institutions) along with some basic Web 1.0
technologies.

It seems to me that in order to find out what is useful the sector does have to:
1.  As Nick suggests, get a real grip on what it is offering to the world at
large through a National Marketing Strategy. And one of the main starting points
should be how to build on the high levels of trust which the sector has in
public perceptions.
2. In contradiction to what Nick suggests the sector needs to engage with the
new developments and evaluate how they can be used, what works and what doesn't.
A 2 year moratorium would achieve nothing other than detaching us from new
developments.  The situation won't be any different after two years, we'll all
be trying to figure out what to do about Web 6.3 or whatever the latest thing is
at the time.  What we need to do is figure out how we interact with, evaluate
and effectively exploit an ever changing technological environment.  We won't do
that by disengaging from it.

Personally I think the biggest challenge posed by the Web is what might be
called 'The Death of the Institution'.  Traditionally we work in an institution,
funding is granted to institutions, we are measured and value ourselves
according to the status of the institutions we are a part of.

But think of yourself as a web user - generally, not in relation to cultural
sites.  I think what you want is easy access to good quality trustworthy
material.  Whether it comes from Institution X or Y is of little concern, unless
you have to pay, or physically visit.

The way Web technology - whatever name you want to give it - is moving, is that
content can be delivered/made available to a user from a variety of sources
within a single site or page, and without the user being aware of the source of
that content; or the user can put together his/her own package of content from a
variety of sources.  This means that the content creator has little control over
the way the content is presented or the context in which it is used, as Brian
pointed out with the Napster and You Tube examples.  And now Sky's monopoly of
Premiership football is being challenged by sites based in China which are
streaming live matches.

The sector needs to think through the consequences of this: on the one hand
there's a massive opportunity to get content in front of much wider audiences,
in particular 'non-traditional' users. To achieve this we need to:

- Stop thinking about Institutional based sites as the way to deliver content.
They are for Institutions not users!
- Focus on developing quality content more than presentation of that content -
Make sure content is reusable - it's expensive to develop!
- Develop a sector branding based on the trust which people place in us, rather
than worrying about individual Institutional branding.

On the other hand we need to consider:
- whether we need to control ways in which our content is presented and used and
if so how.
- how we get the intellectual and commercial recognition for our content

Both of these without unduly restricting access to that content.

Chris Turner
Berwyn Consulting
0796 268 0529
http://www.berwynconsulting.biz