I have waited to write my response in case someone posted something that
convinced me that Second Life isn’t just another ‘Web 2’ passing fad.
Second Life is a business and for the moment it appears to be succeeding.
Clearly it has captured the moment, hence these posts and the wide
coverage in newsprint, but I am yet to be convinced that museums really
have much to gain from a presence in the Second Life environment.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I would doubt that the bulk of Second
Life inhabitants are looking for the rich cultural experiences we might be
able to offer. I don’t think we should be spending too much time just yet
worrying about creating museums in the netherworld populated, I suspect,
by too many people who haven’t got a First Life.

Ian Edelman
Web Manager
Recreation and Heritage
Hampshire County Council