From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Jon Pratty
Sent: 01 February 2006 16:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Electronic Museum news - Feb 2006

Brian, Nick, Mike et al.

Firstly - congratulations for a great thread of thinking, calmly
explained. This is why the MCG is such an interesting forum. Working as
we do (at 24 Hour Museum) with a number of Web 2.0 tools like RSS, we're
always looking into the future and trying to predict what will be the
useful, longer lasting technologies that we should concentrate on. I
think we should look outwards at other sectors to see how they approach
issues like Web 2.0 and the semantic web. Look at the medical profession
- they're already producing ideas for semantic standards.

I'm producing a paper for Museums and the Web (yes, I know it's late!)
about some of the ideas raised in this thread. Have a look here:
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2006/abstracts/prg_300000787.html

You might notice that I don't mention Web 2.0 at all in the abstract -
that's because I see the next wave of web development as being about the
new trends in audience behaviour. Audiences are dwelling in search
engine-land. Many, many web enquiries now start as Google enquiries. The
Web 2.0 challenge, as I see it, is to use new technologies like RSS and
particularly tagging, to get cultural info quickly and transparently
into Googleland. That's what we're working towards at 24 HM,
particularly with this idea I call the 'inside out' web museum, where
we'd be publishing clusters of cultural web objects directly into the
search engine environment via RSS. We're going for that Google audience,
using working, stable, simple, already standardised means like RSS 2.0.

We have looked at ways to use Ajax, Flash and combinations of the two,
as well as Konfabulator-style Widgets (now taken over by Yahoo) to
deliver cultural content directly to desktops. This is stuff we can do
here and now, and it's actually quite orthodox in other mass media
publishing circles. Serence (serence.com, who make a fab feedreader
called Klipfolio) have even made an RSS/Ajax based desktop Bingo playing
application - now that's a great example of using Web 2.0 to develop new
audiences!

Worrying about whether certain technologies are 'stable' is important.
Nick Poole, as ever, is right. What we don't need is super duper flashy
new technology, we just need the means to get our museum and gallery
content out there in front of the public. We need technology that's
simple, so all museums everywhere can use it. We need technology (like
RSS) that gets our stuff right there into the new arena of search
engines. Paul Miller's work at the CIE (with the Mori report into web
behaviour) has also been a big influence on my thinking at 24 HM.

For the future, what seems to me to be a fruitful direction, is work on
structured searching, maybe though collaborative working with the big
searchers, certainly through a standards based approach. The work done
by the ADS, funded by CIE, in York led by William Kilbride, was an
interesting essay in the direction of structured search. MLA's notion of
a Knowledge Web is central to our thinking too, though I think we're
actually part of the way there already with 24 HM technology.

I'd be pleased to correspond with anyone else who has views about how
this all might develop.

Jon Pratty

Editor
24 Hour Museum
01273 820052
07739 287392

The National Virtual Museum
Britain's Best Museum and Gallery website - Web User Magazine
Best Educational Website, New Statesman New Media Awards, 2005