This is an offer of a placement from a student on the Cultural
Heritage Studies course there. Students are required to work 20 days
in a museum or comparable organisation as part of their course.The
student, Colin Baird, has advanced experience, skills and expertise
in IT and digital media.

Colin is planning to write his dissertation on the potential of the
semantic web and social software for museums - I'll be supervising
it. This is a great chance for a museum to explore what might be done
using these technologies, still a mystery to many let's admit it, and
to undertake a substantial yet manageable piece of research.

Please contact Colin at his email address, below, and copy to me in
the first instance.

Suzanne Keene

My name is Colin Baird and I am currently taking the Cultural
Heritage Studies MA at UCL. One requirement of this course involves
undertaking a placement with a heritage organisation of 20 days work
either part or full time. At the end of the placement students are
expected to write a short report on their experience to submit as
part of their assessment.

My interests are focused around Heritage and IT and I am looking for
projects in this area. Prior to taking this course I completed a BA
in Archaeology and Ancient History and an MSc in Electronic
Publishing. I then worked for 7 years in the Web industry and I have
an extensive CV of IT skills and experience which includes web
design, web development and information management. I have led large-
scale projects in the private sector and in local government and I
also have consulting and project management experience.

With this background I can offer an organisation a variety of
different roles. This could range from providing advice and planning
for forthcoming projects or help with implementation on existing
ones. 20 days is a feasible timescale to design and build a small
website depending on the availability of resources, or to provide
more open-ended expertise to help orientate an organisation's goals
in the ever-changing world of technology.

I am available from mid-June through July and August and would prefer
to work part-time during this period as I will also be working on my
dissertation topic: Museums and the Semantic Web. I would be happy to
meet and discuss possible projects and perhaps spend a few days for
specification or design before this period. I have my own equipment
and can work from home. I am based in Bristol / London but I am
flexible and due to the nature of IT projects it is often possible to
work in a more distributed way.

If you are interested then please contact me via email at
[log in to unmask] where I can provide more details as required. I
will need to consult with my course supervisor to make sure that any
prospective placement meets the aims of the MA.