From: "Angus Kneale" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 6:24 PM
Subject: Ian Morrison

I am very sad to have to tell you that my friend and former colleague,
Ian Morrison, died suddenly last week of a massive heart attack while on
holiday in the USA.

I'm sure many mcg members will remember Ian as a long time and active
member of the group - he administered the email list for many years, was
(I think) the original webmaster and served on the committee.

Ian was employed at the National Museums of Scotland as Scottish Museums
Documentation Officer from 1989 until September 2004, taking early
retirement after NMS's restructuring.  During that time he travelled
widely providing help and advice on collections documentation to museums
in Scotland, and developed the Museum Inventory System (MIS), a simple
MS-DOS based database which was provided free of charge.  Another
significant part of the SMDO's original job was to look at ways of
creating a national database of museum collections in Scotland, which
led indirectly to the creation of the Scottish Cultural Access Network
(SCRAN) in 1996, for whom Ian worked part-time as Data Co-ordinator
until June 1999.

Ian was also a trustee of the Bennie Museum in Bathgate and a member of
the Board of mda from 1994 until May 2003.

Ian's passing is particularly shocking as he was still young, healthy
and looking forward to a long and busy retirement.

If you remember Ian, why not spend a few moments and visit his website
< <http://www.iomorrison.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ian.htm>
http://www.iomorrison.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ian.htm> - he tells his own
story much better than I can.

He will be missed.

Angus
--
Angus Kneale
Collections Systems Manager

National Museums of Scotland
Chambers Street
Edinburgh EH1 1JF
Tel +44 (0) 131 247 4175
Fax +44 (0) 131 247 1312
email [log in to unmask]
http://www.nms.ac.uk <http://www.nms.ac.uk/>

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your system.
author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Museums of
Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and
Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for any
harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.