Venue: CILIP, 7 Ridgmount Street, London WC1E 7AE

Date: Monday 27th November 2006

Time: 9.15am­4.30pm

Course Leader: Antony Brewerton

Cost (to include morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea) : £80.00 plus VAT
(Information Service Group members - £70.00 plus VAT)

If you would like to attend please return the booking form below.
PLEASE NOTE EARLY BOOKING IS ADVISABLE.
Numbers are limited because of the format of the day.

To discuss the contents of the course, please contact Antony Brewerton
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Information is increasingly supplied ­ and demanded ­ in electronic format.
Many people, if they still choose to use libraries, opt to use them
remotely. Traditional enquiry services have been augmented or replaced by
the Virtual Reference Desk.

The information world has become more challenging; one of the greatest
challenges we face is marketing our virtual services to customers (and
potential users) we never see. Librarians and marketing have been uneasy
bedfellows, but now that relationship is essential in this new environment.

In Marketing the Virtual Information Service we will provide practical
guidance on how to overcome some of these challenges. We will consider what
we mean by marketing, and how theory can become successful practice, with
case studies from academic, public and government information officers on
how they promote their services, including the new virtual options.

PROGRAMME

09.15 ­ Registration and coffee

09.45 ­ In Cyberspace no one can hear you ask.
Welcome and introduction.
Antony Brewerton (Subject team Leader: Oxford Brookes University Library)

10.00 ­ Group discussion and feedback

10.30 ­ From theory to practice
Lisa Barwick (Communications & Marketing Officer, Information Services,
University of Birmingham)

11.15 ­ Coffee break

11.35 ­ Developing and promoting an integrated enquiry service
Liz Jolly (Associate Director in Information Services Division, University of
Salford)

12.20 ­ Promoting web services to the public
Paul Donaghy (Electronic Library Services Manager, London Borough of
Richmond)

13.00 ­ Lunch

14.20 ­ Promoting Government services
Diane Rowland (Information Services Manager, InfoSource, Department of Trade
& Industry)

14.40 ­ But how will you do it?
Group work activities including the opportunity to start upon developing
plans for
your own service, with the support of colleagues together with advice from
experts
in the field.

16.00 ­ Feedback

16.30 ­ End of the day

(Tea will be served during the afternoon.)

ISG L&SE Committee reserve the right to change speakers or subjects should
it prove necessary.

BOOKING FORM

Please provide the details requested below and delete that which does not
apply. Send completed
forms to Anne Hayward [log in to unmask]

Please reserve a place for me at Marketing the Virtual Information Service on
Monday 27th November 2006.

Name

Position

Address

Telephone Number

Email Address

Have you any special dietary requirements? YES/NO

I am a member of CILIP Information Services Group and wish to claim a
reduced fee. YES/NO

Cost of Course:
ISG members: £82.25 (£70 + £12.25 VAT)
Non ISG members: £94 (£80 +£14 VAT)

Cheque payable to Information Services Group (L&SE) of CILIP.

Please invoice me/my organisation:
E-mail:
OR postal address:
Name

Address

Telephone No.

(BACS information will be on the invoice.)

All bookings will be acknowledged within 14 days.

Cancellations later than two weeks before the course starts may attract the
full fee. Substitutes may be sent instead of the named individual.

*******************

Anne Hayward
Hon. Treasurer, ISG (London & South East Section)
38 Bunces Close, Eton Wick, Berkshire, SL4 6PL

(Please note that my e-mail address is incorrect on printed publicity for
the course - not [log in to unmask])
Vicky Robertson
Reader Services Librarian
Library