Grateful for any pointers to information about circulating libraries in
Lancashire workplaces in the 1840s-50s.  I have found a passing (fleeting,
more like!) reference to a circulating library in what turns out to be
Clammerclough (or Clamour Clough) cotton mill, Kearsley, near Bolton in
1851 in The Autobiography of a Manchester Cotton Manufacturer by 'H.S.G.'
[Henry Steinhauer Gibbs] published in 1887. (The mill is anonymous in the
book, but it has been run to earth.)

Although my primary subject of research is the Thompson family, one of
whom leased the mill in the 1840s-50s, my professional antennae have
twitched, and I'd like to follow up this subject.

At a quick glance, this library is not listed in Robin Alston's
comprehensive database of libraries.  I have no hope of finding records of
this particular library, but my interest has been aroused in the subject
of libraries in mills, about which I know nothing at the moment.  So
references to any studies made of them would be very welcome.

Thank you!
________
Hilary Ely
Area Manager (Libraries) East Surrey
Surrey County Council Community Services East Area Office
Omnibus, Lesbourne Road,  Reigate, Surrey RH2 7JA
Tel. 020 8541 7060 (direct)  079 68 832 419 (mobile)
01737 737692 (office)
Fax. 01737 737649
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee only.
It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional privilege.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or [log in to unmask]
The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.
Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming and outgoing mail.
Whilst every care has been taken to check this outgoing e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk