Dear All,

I work in a public library. We are in the early stages of developing a pilot
of a game which introduces younger children (6-9 ish) to the concepts of
information literacy.  It involves negotiating within environment where
progression, achievement of tasks and avoidance of death depends upon
finding, analysing and acting upon snippets of information within the
environment (from characters, and objects within it, etc)

This does not cover plagiarism as such, although the consequences of misuse
of information is something that I am working in it.

I think the whole subject is best seen as a continuum, where you start with
going gaga to your babies, then they get to school and friends and media,
then work or FE or HE, then work, and so on, until we fall off the perch at
the other end.

The stuff I am working on above is best seen as a part of this timeline,
parallel to what primary schools do.  I think probably that without some
formal recognition of IL at this age now, in 10 years time the information
literacy of next generation students that you see in FE/HE will be no
better.

Andrew Lewis
e-Services Officer
Library and Information Services