***Open access for the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine***

Beginning this month, sections of the Journal of the Royal Society of
Medicine, will be made available on its website for free.

JRSM is the flagship journal of the Royal Society of Medicine and has
been published continuously since 1809.

From March all research and original articles, as well as issues more
than three years old, will be available for free at www.jrsm.org. By
early 2007 complete issues of the JRSM dating back to 1809 will be
available online for free, with support from the Wellcome Trust in
partnership with JISC.

'This is an historic issue for the JRSM,' said Editor, Kamran Abbasi.

'The open access debate has been raging among authors, readers and
publishers of medical journal for years and the Royal Society of
Medicine is to be commended on its decision.'

Writing about the open access debate, Dr Abbasi, argues that a middle
ground can be reached between those who argue for full access and the
rights of publishers to protect their financial interests.

'While many advocates of open access find anything less than full open
access repulsive, there is an emerging consensus that for any journal to
legitimately claim to be an open access publication the original
research articles should be freely available on the journal's website
from the moment of publication. This is exactly what the JRSM will be
now doing,' writes Dr Abbasi.

'Our ambition is that this initiative will allow the JRSM to champion
the best principles of science while ensuring that we can derive enough
revenue to safeguard the journal's future.'

Acting Executive Director of the Royal Society of Medicine, Peter
Richardson, said open access was an important initiative.

'I am very pleased that we are making all original research in JRSM free
on publication. This is one of a number of innovations by Dr Abbasi that
will help our Society's journal to influence a wider audience,' said Mr
Richardson.

Mr Richardson said the RSM's approach to open access was a balanced one.

'It is too early to say whether full open access for subscribers funded
by author payments is a viable economic model, especially for clinical
journals where many published studies have no clear source of funding.
Nonetheless, this is an important development and one where the JRSM is
leading the way,' said Mr Richardson.

'The Royal Society of Medicine is also very grateful for the support
received from the Wellcome Trust for digitising the back issues of the
JRSM.'

JRSM is published at the beginning of each month. The journal's new open
access will mean all research articles, the editor's column and one
other selected article from each issue going forward will be made
available online for free. All articles will be free to access three
years after publication.

Issues published 2000 to 2003 will be available at www.jrsm.org.
Editions prior to 2000 will be hosted on the PubMed Central site run by
the US National Institutes of Health (www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/).

Kirsty Luff
Circulation and Licensing Manager
RSM Press

********* Important Notice - Disclaimer ***********
This email is from the Royal Society of Medicine, Registered Charity No:- 206219 This email and any attachments may contain confidential information and/or copyright material. This email is intended for the use of the addressee only. Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software and then delete the message. Email sent to the RSM may be monitored in line with current legislation and good practice.