Hi Lindsey
This is the kind of thing we were discussing at our research meeting
Maureen

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/31/06 10:17 am >>>
Anna,

There are plenty of web-based RSS readers out there, so you don't need to
be able to install software on your PC to be able to make use of RSS feeds
(and avoid paying for Ingenta's service which I guess is the successor to
the Uncover service that Ingenta acquired back in 2000).

We're doing our best to promote RSS feeds as a more convenient (and
integrated) way to receive alerts than by setting up lots of different
email alerting services.

See our RSS page for links to listings of RSS readers (both web and
desktop) and sites that offer RSS feeds:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/library/techserv/ejrnl/rss.html

If anyone wants to let us know about more journal sites that offer RSS
feeds then please feel free!

Terry Bucknell
Electronic Resources Manager
Harold Cohen Library
University of Liverpool
PO Box 123 Liverpool L69 3DA

Tel: +44 (0)151 794 5408  Fax: +44 (0)151 794 5417
Email: [log in to unmask]

--On 31 January 2006 11:04 +0100 Anna Sansome <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> One of my colleagues was asked by a user why Ingenta Connect wanted to
> charge her to set up email alerts. Initially I thought that there must be
> a mistake but when I looked at
> http://www.ingentaconnect.com/about/librarians/alerting_and_rss_feeds it
> is indeed the case that Ingenta charges for its "InTouch" service and an
> "Institutional Alerting Licence" is required. There seem to be advantages
> from an administrators point of view in that we can look at how many
> people use it and brand the alerts. However, as we don't currently
> subscribe to this service, users are unable to get email alerts, which
> seems a little unfair. They do offer an RSS feed but we do not currently
> have a feed reader on our network and are not able to download software.
> Does anyone use the InTouch service and if so, how much does it cost and
> is it well used?
>
> Sorry if this has already been discussed or if I'm being hopelessly naive
> in thinking that such services are generally free!!
>
> Cheers
> Anna
>

> Anna Sansome
> E-Journals Administrator
> UCL Library Services
> University College London
> Gower Street
> WC1E 6BT
>
> Tel: +44 (0) 20 7679 7380
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
> Have you tried MetaLib yet?  http://metalib.ucl.ac.uk
> The new electronic resource gateway from UCL Library Services.

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
<<<<EdgeHill>>>>