Date:    Thu, 18 May 2006 16:16:16 +0100
From:    Olwyn Reynard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Activating e-journals - Single user access

I agree completely with Sarah. I have asked Swets to make it clearer that
our subscriptions are for institutional access but I don't know whether the
fault lies with the publishers who are not picking this information up. I
think rather than Swets requesting online as part of the order process they
are simply getting notification of online availability attached to a print
sub and reacting to that without checking properly. It certainly wastes
massive amounts of time. (ours and theirs)

Often it takes several messages to the publisher before we are finally told
that we only have single user access. We are given complex activation
instructions requiring a customer name which is clearly intended for a
single person, or an email address, and publishers seem genuinely surprised
when we can't make it work on an institutional basis. I think small
publishers have often not thought this through before making online access
available.

I think Swets could help by requesting activation codes from the publishers,
and passing that on to us with their e-availability notification. At present
notification of electronic availability comes through to us and I usually
have to contact either Swets or the publisher to ask for the activation
code.
They could also request passwords for us. In the process of doing that it
might become clear to them that the sub is only for single-user access. At
present the notifications come through saying the publisher will contact us
but they rarely do.

Extra irritations this year have been repeat notifications for the same
journal

In fairness to Swets I don't get the impression that other agents manage
this any better....

Olwyn

Olwyn Reynard, Electronic Resources Librarian, Kimberlin Library, De
Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester LE1 9BH
Tel 0116 2577865
email [log in to unmask]