-----Original Message-----
From: A list for health related libraries within the North West of
England [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Ellis (5HG)
Ashton, Leigh & Wigan Primary Care Trust
Sent: 26 July 2006 11:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CLA licence

Dear Lihnn
Is there anyone else out there whose trust is being hounded by the CLA
in aggressive emails to the CEO to take out a licence? The latest has
been referred to me for an opinion (I'm not flattered but frankly sick
of this): it lays out specific interpretations of the law with regard to
"fair dealing", "research", the "library privileges", the "5%"
guideline, and argues that NHS work mostly does not come under either
research or private study and therefore constitutes illegal copying. I
disagree, but the position adopted by the CLA severely restricts what I
think one can do as of right under the law. I could get paranoid about
this - is this the only trust left that has not taken out a licence,
hence the targeting, or are there still trusts out there that are
standing fast?
David

David Ellis
Knowledge Services Manager
Ashton, Leigh and Wigan Primary Care Trust Library Chandler House
Poolstock Lane Wigan
WN3 5HL
Tel. 01942-481570
Fax 01942-481572
email [log in to unmask]

Confidentiality: This e-mail and any attachments, together with their
contents, are confidential unless otherwise explicitly stated in writing
by the sender of this e-mail and are for the intended recipient only. If
they have come to you in error you must not take any action in respect
of them, which includes but is not limited to reproducing, sending or
storing them, other than to notifying the sender immediately of the
mistake, and deleting the e-mail, any attachments and any reproductions
made by replying to it.

Viruses: This e-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses
but we cannot guarantee that they are virus free. The recipient should
check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. Ashton, Leigh & Wigan
PCT accepts no responsibility for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail or any of its attachments. In the event of
any unauthorised copying or forwarding, the recipient will be required
to indemnify Ashton, Leigh & Wigan PCT against any claim for loss or
damage caused by any viruses or otherwise