Dear all

This is by way of referring again to the LDHEN/ALDinHE website and as a reminder that we have a page dedicated to the symposium on that website plus contact details.    Go to http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/ldhen/ for a browse.

We now have a Symposium email account set up, [log in to unmask] and look forward to hearing from you to reserve an early place at the symposium and also to submit expressions of interest for workshops/presentations etc.  At this stage, an outline proposal for a presentation is fine, say around 200-300 words, by 8 December if possible please.  If you could be explicit about how your proposal connects with the overall theme of the event that would be really helpful.

We will be sending out registration forms and full details in due course but meanwhile, our administrator Johanna and I look forward to hearing from you on [log in to unmask]

Best wishes

Chris Keenan

 **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Dear Colleagues,

4th Annual Symposium of the LDHEN at Bournemouth University - How do Students Engage with Learning?

CALL FOR PAPERS

Thursday 12 April 2007 is the date for the next Annual Symposium of the LDHEN which will be hosted by Bournemouth University.

Our keynote speaker for the 2007 Symposium is Professor Ronald Barnett

Ron is Professor of Education at the Institute of Education, London University and his work on developing understandings of Higher Education will be well known to many in our network. His talk will focus on his current thinking around what it is to be a student and will come from a largely philosophical approach but will also include plenty of examples and quotations from his work with students. For more information about Ron and his work, please visit the Institute of Education website at http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4458&4458_0=5486 <http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4458&4458_0=5486>  <http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4458&4458_0=5486 <http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4458&4458_0=5486> >

Our theme for the day is: "How do students engage with learning". Initial ideas, or expressions of interest for workshops or papers are now being sought. Please send to me by 1 December 2006 and these will then be distributed to the LDHEN Steering Group for review.

The cost of the day: Just £60 per delegate/participant. Registration forms will be sent out in due course but let me know if you wish to make an early reservation. As usual, places have to be limited and early registration is advised.

Symposium Administration: We have a conference administrator, Johanna Keenan, who is dealing with all the conference arrangements and we are setting up an email account for the Symposium. More information about this and about the new Network website will follow soon.

Location: Bournemouth University is located in an area of outstanding natural beauty. To the west is the stunning World Heritage Jurassic coastline that attracts visitors from all over the world. To the east is the New Forest National Park, a unique area of historical, ecological and agricultural significance that traces its history back almost a thousand years to 1079 when William the Conqueror named the area as 'new hunting forest'. Bournemouth also boasts 12 kilometres of award winning beaches as well as a lively cosmopolitan town centre atmosphere.

Best wishes

Chris

Christine Keenan

Learning and Teaching Fellow

School of Design, Engineering & Computing

Bournemouth University

Poole House

Fern Barrow

Poole  Dorset