Dear Colleagues

Over 30 subscribers to this list have now expressed interest in joining the new Association for Learning Development in Higher Education.

I am writing now to explain that, although we are still not yet ready to take subscriptions, it will not be long before application forms for individual or institutional membership will be sent to those who have requested them. Thank you for your patience.

In the meantime, the new website is just a gnat’s whisker away from its launch! As well as information about ALDinHE and the network, the site will offer regular updates on the 4th Annual Symposium of LDHEN at Bournemouth University in April 2007; theme: “How do Students Engage with Learning?”

In case anyone did not see the previous invitation to membership, please see below:

Best wishes

John

Invitation to join ALDinHE

The new Association for Learning Development in Higher Education is called ALDinHE - pronounced ‘ald-een’ as in the Aldine Press, which was a key player in the literacy revolution in 15th century Italy, and whose goal was to create plentiful, affordable books so that everyone could have access to literature. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldine_Press  This seems a very appropriate namesake for those committed to Learning Development in HE. (Thanks to Pauline Ridley of Brighton for this inspiration!)

LDHEN will continue to operate as a JISCmail discussion list, and the archives will remain public, but those who choose to join ALDinHE will be entitled to some additional benefits. The main ones will be:

Ø      Membership of a formally constituted body, which will endeavour to represent and promote our academic and professional interests as Learning Developers across the HE sector in the UK.

Ø      Participation: having a say in the Association’s affairs and developing a shared understanding of what LD is. (We intend to adopt a constitution at the Bournemouth Symposium in April 2007, and elect a new Steering Group.)

Ø      Reduced fees for the Symposia and other events (we envisage approx 75% reduction for members).

Ø      A regular, edited publication based on recent list discussions.

Ø      Additional opportunities for peer-networking, mentoring and professional development: e.g. we intend to establish regional seminars on key issues.

Institutional membership will be available at £100. This will entitle two members to vote at Association meetings.

Alternatively individual voting membership will be available at £35.

At this early stage full written conditions of membership are not yet available. Those expressing an interest will receive an application form which can be used for institutional or individual membership, in due course. If you are interested please email me [log in to unmask]  (not the list) with your contact details asap.

I am also very pleased to announce that a new website for LDHEN is now almost ready to launch (thanks to Andy Hagyard of Lincoln) so watch this space in early November!

Best wishes

John Hilsdon

Co-ordinator, Learning Development

University of Plymouth