Hi All

A v brief top of head response to David's interesting q

I, like, Isabelle try to focus on how student understands the task(s)
they are presented with in each case. The language use then derives from
this drive toward clarification of topics, questions to resolve, and
parameters within which the work has been set. Though I think David's
implied care in seeking to know how students interpret the specific
language being used in 'advice' in a given situation is important.

My response above is not an 'solution' but part of an approach: for me
it goes along with - excuse the shorthand jargon - questions used in the
manner of person-centred counselling (e.g. 'how do you understand what
you should do when it says 'critically analyse'?) coupled with strategic
informative interventions - and occasionally quite directive ones (I
strongly advise you to!), concluding with something like 'Can you
summarise for me what you have decided you are going to do now?  ... a
really Interesting discussion this - so many personal/political issues
implied - of course, in tutorials like most of us, I suspect, I have
strict time limits and engaging in language awareness work that informs
and involves our students in the practices we are encouraging in
university study really deserves more attention - and not just for
international students for whom UK academic English is a new language

John

University of Plymouth