Dear all

I very recently subscribed to the LDHEN list and attended the symposium yesterday at Liverpool Hope.  Very much enjoyed the event and the chance to speak to colleagues and to find out what is going on out there.

Our Academic Skills Centre was launched last January.  Previously ‘learning support’ was on offer to students; we are now moving away from the remedial model to the pro-active ‘learning enhancement’ model offered to all.  The team is discussing ways of further engaging students with the centre.  As part of that we are looking at the possibility of offering some form of E-guidance/advice service whereby students can potentially send draft essays and request specific guidance on them (not proof reading).  Many of our students are part-time or on distance learning programmes and we feel this is the way forward for them.  However we have concerns about the possible amount of work involved and we are keen to set parameters within which we can operate efficiently.

Do any of you have experience of offering skills development via e-mail?  If so, how does it work?  How many students use this method?  Are there any restrictions within that service?

Would really welcome your ideas or accounts of good or bad experience of E-guidance.

Thank you.

Nadine Sunderland

Students Skills Co-ordinator

Academic Skills Centre